Halloween is a favorite holiday, especially for kids, but it can also be a dangerous time in ways you may not expect. Here are a few timely words of wisdom from an experienced yoga teacher to make your Halloween Yoga a little more safe.
3 Dangers of Doing Kids Yoga at Halloween
- Kids Doing Yoga in Costumes: all the big frilly princess skirts, the pitchforks and the plastic pumpkins can be a real obstacle to yoga poses. Stretch carefully on your yoga adventures or someone may lose an eye for real.
- Over the Top Excitement – Halloween is so much fun, sometimes its too fun. This means bedtimes get missed, nappers don’t nap, and cranky kids fill the streets with real screaming and complaining. Both parents and kids can be so jacked up on candy they can’t fall asleep which can throw off your routine for days. If that’s the case you may want to try these bedtime tips here.
- Barf – In a word, barf. It is a danger I have personally experienced when teaching kids yoga. It happened after a sugary birthday cake, but Halloween candy can cause the same result. You could end up with a big puddle of vomit, a real smelly ghost for the rest of your class. Not to mention its a slippery hazard. I strongly suggest saving the Halloween candy for after the forward bends and inverted poses. Even better, give out stickers and Halloween Colouring Pages like the ones in these posts and skip the upset stomachs all together.
If you think I should dress up as Scrooge, the cold-hearted complainer, for Halloween, you’ll be happy to know I keep the complaining on my blog and out of Kids Yoga. I really do like Halloween, I just know from experience it has real dangers amidst all the fun.
So keep your scares the pretend variety and have a safe and happy Halloween.
Upcoming Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Kids Yoga Certification
Come join us next Kids Yoga Teacher Training. The full details and the Registration information here. You get a Certificate for the weekend training that also counts toward Certification with a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School (95 Hour Required Training).
Try Giving Out Yoga Stickers for Halloween
You can now order our Big Pack of Yoga Stickers and have them shipped to you. Each sticker is the size of a standard business card. If you order today you will have them for your little ghouls on Halloween or in your yoga classes:
All orders will be shipped from Canada so order early if you want them in time for Halloween.
Leave a Comment:
Please share your Kids Yoga Halloween ideas in the comments. Will you be doing anything special with your kids for Halloween. Let us know.
We’re moving Online!
- Themes and Dreams:April 18, 19, 21, 23
- Inclusive Yoga:April 25, 26, 28, 30
- Yoga Literacy: May 9, 10, 12, 14
- Family Yoga, Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age), Chakras for Children: May 16, 17, 19, 21
- Mindfulness for Children: May 23, 24, 26, 28
- Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning: June 6, 7, 9, 11