Find answers to frequently asked questions about Kids Yoga Teacher Training.
Watch Aruna Humphrys the founder of Young Yoga Masters give an overview of the training in video below.
Get Answers to Your Kids Yoga Teacher Training Questions
Click on the kids yoga teacher training questions below to open the answer.
How Do I Become a Kids Yoga Teacher?
At this time anyone may teach Yoga because Yoga is an unregulated industry. This means, unlike a masseuse or other such fields, the government does not require you to have a license of any sort to teach yoga (please double check if this is the case in your area because some governments have made a movement to change the requirements).
However there are industry standards set by Yoga Alliance of a 95 Hour specialty training in Children’s Yoga, different insurance companies require different amounts of training, and of course, you have to know what you are doing.
At Young Yoga Masters, you earn a Certificate for each module of training you complete and can start teaching what you have learned right away.
Once you complete all the modules, you will also receive your 96 Hour Certificate from our School.
Read more about the different levels of Certification in the next question.
What are the Different Levels of Certification? What is the Difference Between Having a Certificate and Being a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher?
Levels of Certification:
- Weekend or Workshop Certificate: Most Kids Yoga Teacher Training give a Certificate of completion at the end of the course, no matter how long it is. Young Yoga Masters gives you a Certificate after each Module you complete so you can start teaching right away.
- 95 Hour Certificate: The yoga industry standard for children’s yoga schools, set by Yoga Alliance, is 95 Hours of Kids Yoga Teacher Training meeting specific training requirements. Young Yoga Masters is a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School. Completion of all our modules will Certify you as a Children’s Yoga Teacher with Young Yoga Masters, a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School.You get a 95 Hour Children’s Yoga Teacher Certificate with both Young Yoga Masters seal and our Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School seal (see picture on side) on the Certificate when you complete the training.
- Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT): As per the Yoga Alliance website to become an (RCYT) you must have 200 Hours Training with a Registered Yoga School AND 95 Hours Training with a Registered Childrens Yoga School AND then teach 30 hours of children’s Yoga on your own after completing your RCYS. The 200 Hour Training and the 95 Hour Training may be taken in any order.
At Young Yoga Masters each Module counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate. We also offer the Ambassador Yoga 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training for adults.
During the time of COVID-19, Yoga Alliance has permitted online training as a temporary provision. Usually, In-Person Training is required to receive your RYT or RCYT Certificate.
When are your next Teacher Training Courses and what is the cost?
During the Covid-19 outbreak, the course will take place online and you will receive manuals and resources in PDF format. The online training does not include printed manuals or resources. Prices have been adjusted to reflect this change. Most recommended resources can be purchases on Amazon Store and will likely cost under $75. You can begin teaching without these resources by using the activity pages and alternatives included in each module of training.
The only extras costs are government taxes where required by law (sorry these are unavoidable).
To see all upcoming teacher training courses and costs please click here.
There is space in a course unless it is indicated that the course is full.
Important Note: Yoga Alliance has granted Young Yoga Masters an online training permit until Dec. 31, 2021. Yoga Alliance’s official position is that after the pandemic, in-person training will be required once again. We are moving forward as if we will return to in-person training in 2022.
Up to what date will I be able to get my Certificate for the Yoga Alliance Designation Online?
Yoga Alliance has granted Young Yoga Masters an online training permit until Dec. 31, 2021. Yoga Alliance’s official position is that after the pandemic, in-person training will be required once again. We are offering the training online for 2021 and also planning to return to in-person training in 2022.
How long does it take to complete the 96 Hour Certificate?
- Self-Paced Training: If you choose the self-paced training, you can complete the 96 Hours at your own speed. The fastest has been 2 weeks, the longest you can take is by Dec. 31, 2021 when Yoga Alliance’s online training provision ends.
- Self-Paced and Live Training: If you choose the option to attend the live zoom training, you can graduate after the live training dates (listed here) and when you complete the practicum for the training. The longest you can take is Dec. 31, 2021 when Yoga Alliance’s online training provision ends.
How Will the ONLINE training and practicum work?
Expectations to Receive Your Certificate:
The Young Yoga Masters program includes 3 different training methods:
- Prerecorded Training: these videos are on our learning platform here. You can review these at your own pace. You are encouraged to view these videos before the live Zoom calls.
- Live Zoom Calls*: If you choose the live calls you attend on the dates of the course. Replays will also be provided.
- Practicum Planning, Teaching, and Reflection: The Practicum time for each module includes watching pre-recorded practicum classes taught by your trainers, plus you teaching kids yoga classes and reflect on the experience.
In total, you will be required to teach 4 hours of kids yoga classes as the lead teacher to meet the Yoga Alliance requirements to graduate from the 95 Hour training. We recommend you teach 6 x 40 min kids yoga classes, however, there is flexibility in how these classes are delivered, as long as you teach for 4 hours total. You will be given lesson plans to teach and supported to write your own lesson plans.These classes can be taught in person in your own home, online, or in a park, you can teach your own children or other children. You are required to complete a Practicum Reflection after each class you teach.
- Final Requirement: The final requirement for the training is a check-in with your trainer once you complete all course requirements. We review your completed practicum and answer any questions you have remaining. Then your 96 Hour Certificate will be mailed to you. (this is usually a 1 Hour live Zoom meeting)
How will I receive my Certificate? Will it say “ONLINE” on the Certificate?
Yoga Alliance has permitted online training, so your certificate will NOT say “online,’ it will be the same as our Yoga Alliance certificate for our other graduates.
- For Those Taking Individual Module Certificates: Once all prerecorded training hours, live zoom calls (or replays), and all practicum requirements are complete you are issued a Certificate for each Module you successfully complete online.
- For those Taking the 96 Hour Certificate: Once all training requirements are complete you will receive your Certificate for our 96 Hour Certificate from Young Yoga Masters in hard copy format, mailed to you.
* You do not need to be a yoga teacher to take the Young Yoga Masters training. However, to become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance you need both your 200 Hour Certificate (Adult) from a Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga School and the 95 Hour Certificate from a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School. See more details below or visit the Yoga Alliance website here.
What do I need to teach kids yoga?
After reading about the different levels of Certification in the questions above you see that yoga is unregulated. Here is what we recommend:
- Choose a Training that Counts Towards the Yoga Industry Standards: If you are going to start training, choose one that will count towards meeting the yoga industry standards set by Yoga Alliance. We Recommend you start with a kids yoga training (like Young Yoga Masters) where each course counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate. This way you get all the tools and a Certificate from a weekend training AND you won’t have to start from the beginning if you want to get your 95 Hour Certificate.
- Consider Insurance: You may need a minimum number of hours of yoga training to get Insurance as a teacher, the number of hours varies from one company to another, from one region to another, so check with Insurance Companies where you live to see how many hours are needed.
- There are other considerations that may affect your long term goals, you can see more about this here.
- Continuing Education: if you are planning to teach kids for a while, plan to do continuing education. This is a requirements in most occupations and you will be surprised how quickly you can earn different levels of Certification over a few years. We find that many people in our training have taken other courses and continue their education to stay fresh and get inspired.
Can I take this training if I am NOT a Yoga Teacher? Are there any prerequisites to take this course?
The Young Yoga Masters’ Training is open to everyone, you do not have to be a yoga teacher to take the training.
It is recommended, but not mandatory, that you have attended 40 or more adult yoga classes in any style yoga. This will give you a good foundation and knowledge of the poses from personal experience and will make it easier to teach yoga to children.
If you have very little yoga experience, we especially recommend you start with any of the following courses:
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness (8 Hour Certificate): for an introduction to teaching Kids Yoga using stories and props
- Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate): for ideas for yoga in schools and studios using the Yoga Alphabet, partner yoga, and Literacy games and activities
- Kids Yoga Lesson Planning – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate): for lesson plan teaching methodology using themes, stories and songs including 6 sample kids yoga lesson plans
Each of these modules covers the basic components of teaching kids yoga, mindfulness and stress reduction to ages 2 – 15 years. The other courses focus on a variety of facets of kids yoga teacher training including Inclusive Yoga (Special Needs), Family Yoga, Mindfulness for Children, and Business Planning for Kids Yoga Teachers.
5 Modules are open to everyone and the final Level 2 Module is required to receive the Young Yoga Masters full 95 Hour Certification.
Also read the Levels of Certification Question above.
Is there homework or time limit to Graduate?
Yes, each module of training includes self-paced training that you complete from home.
At this time Yoga Alliance has permitted online training till Dec. 31, 2021, this is the time limit to complete the training online. This deadline will only be extended if Yoga Alliance allows for extensions.
Expectations to Receive Your Certificate at the Completion of the Training:
- 96 Hours of Training: The training is hosted on our learning platform here. Your training will be tracked on Teachable and once you have watched and completed all the assignments you can set up your appointment to meet with the lead trainer for your final 96 Hour Certificate. It is up to you at which pace you complete the 96 hours of training.
- Included in the 96 Hours is 4 Hours Practicum Teaching You need to complete 4 hours of kids yoga classes as the lead teacher to meet the Yoga Alliance requirements to graduate from the training. You can teach 6 x 40 min kids yoga classes or 4 x 60 min classes, there is flexibility in how these classes are delivered. You will be given lesson plans to teach, and also be supported to write your own lesson plans for some of the classes. During the training, you will get feedback on your practicum classes during the live zoom classes. These classes can be taught in person in your own home or online, to your own children or to other children, or by doing a live video of you teaching on Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram. You will be required to complete a Practicum Reflection after each class you teach. At the completion of all 4 hours of practicum classes, you will complete a final report, and review your classes online or on a Zoom call with one of your Trainers.
What’s different about the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
Some of the things that set Young Yoga Masters apart:
- Our Trainers Make the Difference: Lead Trainer, Aruna, graduated as a yoga teacher yoga in 1998 and has worked as a full-time Yoga teacher since 2000. She knows what is means to run a successful yoga business. Plus each Young Yoga Masters Trainer brings insights into their specialty in the classroom, studio, or with special needs children.
- Experience with Real Kids: The practicum time with real kids in attendance sets this training apart. You’ll observe the expert Faculty teachers leading a class. You will also teach kids classes along with the other students in the training. You will experience exactly how to welcome the kids, follow your lesson plan, and go with the flow with changes as needed. You will know exactly what its like to teach yoga to kids. You’ll complete your Certificate AND have teaching experience to put on your resume.
- Real Yoga In a Ready-to-Teach Curriculum: You get a range of ready to teach lesson plans with real yoga themes as well as playful games and fun activities. You’ll see how rewarding it is to teach tools to help children manage the stress of modern life. You’ll use the Kids Yoga Class Creator to make your own lesson plans too!
- Follow Up Support: Most courses end and the student is left to navigate their teaching on their own. At Young Yoga Masters you get follow up and ongoing training with our website and Newsletter Articles and Updates. You can stay in touch with your trainers and other kids yoga teachers after the course is over.
- We hold Nothing Back: Please note that the online training includes all our manuals and activity pages in PDF format. The rate for the training has been significantly reduced so you can purchase the recommended resources. Your training also includes our tested lesson plans, tips for what works and what doesn’t work, and real examples from years of teaching kids yoga. At the end of the training, all that matters is that you can teach children yoga. When you review your manuals for years after the training, you won’t have to remember what was covered in the training, it’s all in the manuals! Many students say the material they receive in the Young Yoga Masters training is more thorough and complete than what they received in their 200 hour yoga training.
- Registered Training: Young Yoga Masters is a Registered Children’s Yoga School, which means this 95 hour training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from the outside experts at Yoga Alliance. (see next question for more details)
All these set Young Yoga Masters apart and foster a love of teaching yoga to children. And that’s what we’re all about!
Can I take just one Certificate/Module or do I have to take them all? Do they have to be taken in a certain order?
You don’t have to take all the Certificates. All but the Level 2 Certificate can be taken individually and in any order. We encourage you to start teaching what you have learned right away.
The final Level 2 Module is only for those who have taken the other modules.
- All Certificates = 96 Hours of Training and meets the 95 Hour Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School Training Requirements
For more details on what is required to Register with Yoga Alliance see the next question.
I have taken a training course with another school or company, can I count these hours towards the 95 Hour Certificate?
Yoga Alliance requires that the full 95 Hour training be taken with one school to ensure all the educational category requirements are fulfilled (see the questions on Yoga Alliance School Requirements here). If the training hours are from various schools there is no easy way to assure this, so unfortunately hours from another school cannot be counted in the Young Yoga Masters 95 Hour Certification.
Each Young Yoga Masters Certificates is organized to cover all the educational categories required by Yoga Alliance so only Young Yoga Masters Certificates count towards your 95 Hour Certificate.
Is Young Yoga Masters Registered with Yoga Alliance?
Yes, Young Yoga Masters is registered with Yoga Alliance.org YogaAlliance.org is the original organization that brought all the schools of yoga together and established yoga teaching standards in 1999. It is an International organization.
We chose to register with this organization because it is a non-profit organization with a mission to help spread the power of yoga one person at a time. Most of the other “Yoga Alliance” organizations in other countries came much later and operate by individuals for profit.
Being a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School means our training was reviewed and got the seal of approval from the outside experts at Yoga Alliance. The training fulfills all standards in these categories as required by Yoga Alliance:
- General Background in the Specialty Area (12 hour)
- Techniques Training/Practice (20 hours)
- Teaching Methodology (15 hours)
- Anatomy and Physiology (10 hours)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Children’s Yoga Teachers (12 hours)
- Practicum (18 hours)
- Remaining Hours (8 hours)
- Total: 95 hours
Please Note – As per the Yoga Alliance website: To become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT) you must be:
- a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) who has taken a 200 Hour Training with a Registered Yoga School (RYS)
- Completed a minimum of 95 Hours training, all with one Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS)
- After completing the 95 Hour Training, graduates must also teach 30 hours of children’s Yoga before they may register as Registered Children’s Yoga Teachers (RCYT). These hours of children’s Yoga must be taught after graduating from a RCYS.
- Note that you can take a 95 Hour Training before the 200 Hour adult training, but you will not be able to register with Yoga Alliance as a RCYT until you have completed ALL the requirements above.
To request that Young Yoga Masters training become qualified for Continuing Education Credits in your profession or field, please contact [email protected]
Can I get CEU’s (Continuing Education Units) with Yoga Alliance for this Training?
Yoga Alliance has a policy around the hours of training for Schools and Continuing Education. Yoga Alliance will allow you to count your training hours towards the 95 Hour Certificate OR Continuing Education Units, but you cannot count the hours towards both.
For more information on this policy please refer to the Yoga Alliance FAQ page under Continuing Education where it says:
Can I use the same teaching or training hours towards upgrading my credential and my Continuing Education requirements? Show
No. It is not possible to apply the same training or teaching hours used for upgrading your credential to your CE requirements.
That means if you count the hours towards CEU’s you will not be able to count them towards your 95 Hour Certificate.
Therefore, we recommend you only count the Young Yoga Masters training as CEU’s if you have already completed your 95 Hour Certificate.
If you would like to request a Certificate for CEU’s (Continuing Education Units) please contact [email protected]
Will I be able to teach the children in my classroom or daycare room as a part of a circle or daily physical education?
Yes – in the Young Yoga Masters training each module gives you tools to teach children’s yoga. The manuals include instructions to safely and easily introduce yoga to children, regardless of your yoga experience. We have many school teachers, ECE’s, assistant teachers and personal assistants start using the yoga games and activities at work after one weekend of kids yoga teacher training.
Can I teach kids as a Kids Yoga Teacher with this training?
Let’s be honest, some teachers feel ready to teach after one weekend of training, some teachers need all 95 Hours to boost their confidence. Each person is different. With each Module you complete you will gain experience teaching with actual kids in the class, by the end of the six modules you’ll have 18 hours of practicum experience teaching real kids. This is usually enough for teachers to go out and start teaching their own classes.
Some yoga studios may require you to have a 200 hr adult yoga teacher training certificate, although many do not require this. We advise you to check with each organization or insurance company as to their standards.
We suggest you check for regulations on teaching yoga in the country, province, state or area where you want to teach as well to be sure no government regulations have been implemented for yoga teachers.
Can I take this course if I am pregnant or have an injury or cannot fully do the yoga poses for another reason? is there a lot of yoga in the training?
Approximately 40 – 60 per cent of each training Module is spent doing yoga as we cover the curriculum, yoga poses, songs, and games. The yoga pose times are significantly reduced compared to what you would teach in a full class with children.
If you have a situation that does not allow you to do the yoga poses, you can observe this part of the training. No one should do yoga when it will aggravate their current condition and it is our goal to make our yoga inclusive to students. You will still be able to teach kids yoga if you cannot do the yoga yourself. You can use the pictures provided in the manuals and curriculum to illustrate the poses to children.
Is there a minimum age limit for taking the Kids Yoga Teacher Training Course?
There is no set minimum age for the course. So far, the youngest participant in the course was 14 years old. She took the course to use for her babysitting jobs. If a young person is interested in yoga and feels they can complete the full Module and/or Full Certification, then they are welcome to attend. The minimum age to register as a teacher with Yoga Alliance is 13 years old.
Those taking the course who are under 18 will require a release form signed by their guardian.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy for the Kids Yoga Teacher Training?
You can find details of the refund and transfer policy here.
Can you come to my city to offer the training? How can this happen?
Yes, we can bring the Young Yoga Masters Certification to you. A training typically requires a minimum of 8 students, but this amount changes based on expenses. Contact Aruna about coming to your city to offer the course: [email protected]
I’m an experienced Kids Yoga Teacher. Can I become a Young Yoga Masters Trainer?
Currently Young Yoga Masters only brings in trainers from those who have graduated from the 96 Hour Young Yoga Masters Certification. In 2022 we will be launching a Train-the-Trainer program for graduates. Stay tuned for more details.
I’m still not sure – Can I talk to someone?
We know this can be confusing. We offer a free consultation to anyone with questions about kids yoga or considering taking Kids Yoga Teacher Training. Give us an email to talk with lead trainer Aruna at [email protected] or call 1-416-944-2888.
We’ll do our best to help you make the right decision for your situation.
Make a Difference! Teach Yoga to Children
Get Your Kids Yoga Teacher Training
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Train during the temporary online provision from Yoga Alliance
*Yoga Alliance’s Online Training Provision allows for both self-paced (recorded training) and/or Live Zoom Training. You can choose a combination of these that works for you.