7 Reasons iPods are Awesome for Kids Yoga Teachers and their Music
In Kids Yoga Teacher Training I recommend teachers get a portable music player like an iPod or MP3. Usually more than 50% already use them and just nod knowingly in agreement during this part of the training.
Others half heartedly agree because they have the technology but have not plugged it in yet.
And a small but significant percentage get a terrified look on their face and just shake their head “no.” They are either afraid to take the leap into technology or just plain don’t like it.
Of course music is still available in CD format, and you can burn some pretty useful mixed CD’s. But sooner or later you’ll have to make the switch since many major record companies have announced they are not producing CD’s anymore.
Here are some reasons to go for it now which include how you can make the most of your player if you already have one:
- Save Time: You’ll save time fiddling with CD’s and changing songs during your kids yoga classes. You won’t have as many gaps in your class, gaps that drive some kids to distraction.
- Save Money: A whole album of Music is usually at least $10 less as a download than to buy in CD format. On top of that there are no shipping fees.
- Get Only the Songs You Want: you can just download one song if you don’t want to buy the whole album. Again more savings.
- Playlists: You can create a playlist especially for your class and have all your songs in order and ready to go. I also have playlists like “Childrens faves,” “Relaxation Music,” and “Childrens New” for new downloads I want to try out with my classes. Playlists make finding a song even easier. Especially in times like this.
- Create Space: a few years ago I made the leap and imported all my CD’s into iTunes then gave the CD’s away (well I kept maybe 5 out of the hundreds). I have never missed them, in fact I end up listening to my old music more because of the “shuffle” function or just searching an artist or album I haven’t heard in a while. What used to take a whole shelf in my living room, now fits in my pocket! I love the space it has created.
- Relate to Kids: Kids are growing up in the technology age. They don’t read manuals, they get a new piece of technology and start using it. It’s not a big decision, it’s entertainment. Like spending money on going out to dinner. Technology is always a great ice breaker with older kids, tweens, and teens.
- It’s Easier than you Think: Once you get used to the dashboard of your player, using digital music is about as easy as writing an e-mail. I feel like a teenager again when it comes to music, I often get a new album every month.
Most teachers are on the cusp of the digital world. We have one foot in the old world of records, eight tracks, cassettes, and/or CD’s and we may be dipping a toe in the new world of technology.
But technology is all kids have ever known. If you’re wondering how something works, ask the kids you teach! Or do what they do – Google the answer. All the answers are there.
So there’s no need to be a technology dinosaur! Get with the times, you’ll be glad you did.
Please leave a comment to tell us how important your iPod or MP3 player is to your kids yoga classes. Are you glad you have one or are you just fine without?
Do you have other reasons or tips that may convince someone who’s sitting on the fence about buying an iPod?
Finally, check out my favourite songs and albums on my Recommended Resources page.
Learn some great moves to songs for warm-ups and meditations in the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training. Upcoming dates here. Next training June 2 – 3. Save with early registration.
Get Your Kids Yoga Teacher Training
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Train during the temporary online provision from Yoga Alliance
*Yoga Alliance’s Online Training Provision allows for both self-paced (recorded training) and/or Live Zoom Training. You can choose a combination of these that works for you.