Today’s guest post is from Genera O’Reilly who attended the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training in February 2011. Genera’s been teaching adult yoga for years, but found she’s “a novice in the world of teaching yoga to children.” Find out what happens after the training, when she takes kids yoga out of the workshop and on to the mat. That’s her beautiful daughter Soleil in the pictures.
Out Of the Workshop And On To the Mat
I have been a yoga instructor for many years primarily teaching adults. However, recently I have changed my focus to teaching children’s yoga. I am also a mother of a four year little girl and so it is only natural progression that I would want to teach my daughter yoga being a yoga momma and all.
Over the past year I began by teaching my daughter simple asanas and breathing techniques that I thought she would find fun and playful. Teaching children is a much greater challenge than I had expected. While I consider myself to be an experienced yoga practitioner, I realized that I am a novice in the world of teaching yoga to children.
Feeling a Little Stuck with Kids Yoga Delivery
So, I thought it would be a great idea to get some formal training with someone who had some expertise in working with children. I was beginning to feel a little stuck with my yoga delivery. Then I found the lovely and enchanting Aruna from Young Yoga Masters and signed up for her children’s yoga workshop.
I spent a full weekend learning many different meditation techniques, yoga games and various ways to deliver asanas to children. I had tons of fun. The group was very enthusiastic and had a wide range of experiences with children and yoga, everyone had something to offer.
My favourite component was the meditation games and chanting. I was so eager to get home and try them out on my daughter and her friends.
The following weekend that’s exactly what I did. I invited some of my daughter’s friends over to try out some of the new ideas I had learned from Aruna’s curriculum. The songs and games were a success. The kids really enjoyed the meditation game with the gremlins.
Even a Four Year Old will Challenge!
In fact my daughter won’t stop talking about how great the meditation game is. She did challenge me on whether or not it was meditation because the gremlins aren’t being quiet. LOL! You’ve got to love four years olds.
The beauty of that meditation game is that it’s an excellent way for them to begin training their mind to be still and develop their concentration while having fun. The kids were very receptive to the game and also enjoyed the popcorn game. For those of you who do not these games you should check out Aruna’s yoga workshop because she has endless ideas.
But the biggest thing to remember with kid’s yoga is to keep it fun, keep it open and keep it simple.
By Guest Writer: Genera O’Reilly,
Thank you Genera for giving an account of what it’s like after the Kids Yoga Teacher Training! Thanks also to Soleil for showing how much kids like yoga. If you’re looking for a kids yoga Teacher in Toronto please contact Genera at her e-mail. She’s got an expertise in yoga and a passion for teaching kids!
Upcoming Events: Don’t Miss Out!
People are registering for the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training from all over the world. Summer is a great time to visit Toronto, Canada and upgrade your skills. Please contact me for information on accommodations and options for shadowing me at a kids class while you are here. Upcoming courses:
- June 18 – 19, 2011: Kids Yoga Teacher Training Weekend Course: Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This weekend is limited to 18 participants. Because the last course filled up I recommend registering early. Registration and information here.
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada – Date to be Determined – Open House May 28 for more information. Click here for details.
You can bring Yoga Yoga Masters to your area – This training is like no other! Contact [email protected] to discover the delightful world of kids yoga.
Toronto Weekend Certifications: Spring 2019
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. April 27-28, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.