We don’t usually picture a yogi carrying a briefcase and using a calculator. The business of yoga is a whole new skill for most yoga teachers. It was for me, there are still times I have to remind myself to think like a business person as well as a yogi.
So it is not surprising when questions about the business of teaching kids yoga come up, questions like: How do I give a quote to a school that asked for one for kids yoga classes.
It’s was a discussion on Facebook and with grads from our kids yoga teacher training. January is when schools have a handle on their budgets and can spend for extra-curricular classes. Its a time to get new classes.
Giving a Quote for Teaching Yoga to Children
1. Summarize What You are Quoting in your Yoga Proposal
Summarize what you are quoting by listing exactly what you think they want. You will make sure you understand them and you have the start of an agreement on what you will deliver. For example:
- 2 x 20 minute kids yoga classes during the 1st and 2nd nutrition breaks each week on Thursday
- 1 x 30 min class during school in the gym each week on Thursday
2. State What They Will Get in Your Kids Yoga Classes
- engage the children using props, stories, and music to get everyone involved
- provide aerobic activity and stretching to meet DPA Requirements (DPA is the lingo used in my area and stands for Daily Physical Activity – use the lingo for your area)
- introduce simple breathing tools and mindfulness techniques to calm children to be ready to learn
- create opportunities for positive interaction between children through games and partner yoga
3. Quote Your Prices and Everything they Get outside Teaching Time
- prep time for ongoing classes – 30 minutes
- prep time for school wide events – 2 hours (or how long you estimate for the length of your event)
- travel to and from school – x minutes
- arrival 10-15 minutes before class to set up
- teaching time – 70 minutes
- time in between classes – x minutes
- Total time: x hours x minutes
- $250 minimum charge for a one time visit up to 1.5 hours
- $550 for a half-day event (3.5 hours)
- $950 for a full-day event (7 hours)
For Ongoing Class Rates:
- $150 minimum charge per visit for up to 90 minutes time
- $1/minute for time above 90 minutes.
You are invited to read more on How Much to Charge here.
4. Offer Room To Negotiation (If You Are Willing)
If you are open to discussion you can include:
- Note: we may have some flexibility to work within your budget
5. Include a Page with your Contact Info and Kids Yoga Training and Experience
On another page include a one page summary of all the important info related to you as a kids yoga teacher. Be sure you include your qualifications such as:
- academic degrees
- early childhood education training
- Yoga Alliance certified kids yoga teacher training
- Adult yoga teacher training
- current or previous teaching experience that might be relevant to the class or school you are quoting
The idea here is to show your experience and training so the school feels comfortable in hiring you. To give them the confidence that you can handle a kids yoga class.
6. Bonus Tip – End With a Good Call to Action
Be sure to include a sentence or two about the best way the client can follow up with you if they have any more questions or want to go ahead with the class you have quoted for. You can use a line like:
- If you have any more questions, or want to start this class/session feel free to call me at 416-944-2888 or email [email protected]. Looking forward to hearing from you.
The Business of Teaching Yoga to Children
Is there anything else you include when you get a call for a quote? What do you do when someone approaches you.
The good thing is, once your outline and Resume are done you can use them for all your quotes.
Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Check Out the Self-Paced Teacher Certification
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- All Modules = 96 Hour Certificate