A couple years ago I wrote about how I accidentally swore in a Kids Yoga Class. In my defense, it wasn’t a swear word when I was a kid!
But this post about Yoga Music got me thinking about another word that has become TABOO in many kids yoga classes.
The word is: G O D
You see, if this word is in a song, I don’t play the song in my kids yoga classes.
This word just doesn’t work for me in Kids Yoga. There is a chance it will miss the mark with the many religions (and no religions) of the kids, teacher, and parents. Even in adult yoga classes I give an explanation of what I mean if I (rarely) say the GOD word.
God means something different for each person.
Once I had a complaint in a mostly Christian school, and the complaint was about NOT using the word GOD ! And I get the irony: Why wouldn’t Yoga and God go together?
The President of America uses it in his speeches. If the kids use it, I have no problems. But, I don’t use it.
Thank God for freedom of religion. Each person can decide for themselves – there is no right or wrong answer here.
Right now, kids yoga teachers from all over the world are making decisions about whether to say it or not. What have you decided to do? Do you use the “G” word?
(Please leave your comments below. Any comments that are dis-respectful or too “preachy” will be removed.)
Get Your Kids Yoga Teacher Training
- Sept. 19- 20: Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Oct. 17-18: Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Nov. 14 – 15: Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- Feb. 7 + 13, 2021*: Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Feb. 28 + March 6*: Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- April 25*: Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- May 1 (Morn)*: Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- May 1 (afternoon)*: Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
Train during the temporary online provision from Yoga Alliance
*2021 Dates Pending Yoga Alliance extension of online training provision.
You’ll be glad you did it!