A Yoga Game: What Do You Want Under the Tree?
I’m extending Christmas just a little longer to play a game with you.
Imagine if for Christmas we could ask for presents, but we could also ask for other things, things that are less tangible. What if we could ask for a virtue or a quality from Santa? What if we could wake up and find happiness, faith, or love under the tree? What would kids ask for then? What would you ask for?
In my kids yoga classes sometimes I play a little game when the kids line up at the end of class. I ask everyone the same question and each child answers before they line up. Usually it’s a question they can give a short answer to that lets me get to know each child a little better.
Knowing how excited everyone was about Santa coming, the week before Christmas I asked,
What present do you want that isn’t a thing?
The hands shot up in a flash. Going around the room in a circle, I’d say the top three answers were easily:
- time with my family.
But some answers surprised me from this group of six, seven, and eight year old kids. For instance, one girl said she would like herself for a present. She really likes her life!
One girl just wanted to be out of school – freedom.
Then there was one boy who came up and told me softly, “I want INVISIBLE toys!” He found a loophole for the question. I guess what he really wants is what we all could use a little more of – IMAGINATION. My teacher, Tulshi Sen (listen to his talks here) describes invisible as IN-visible, visible on the INSIDE, not on the outside. Our personal Vision, our Imagination, is invisible. Imagination is visible within before it is visible on the outside. Everything is first created within before it exist outside.
This year my choice of gift that isn’t a thing is going to be the same as the last boy. I want the Invisible gift, Imagination, to help me see what I want inside clearly before it becomes visible outside.
Questions like these are a fun way to get to know the kids you care about a little better. What do you think? What do you want this year? What present do you want that isn’t a thing?
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.