This post goes out to all those who are interested in becoming kids yoga teachers and also those who are looking for a kids yoga teacher. Both should remember: If you are wondering what to look for in a good course or teacher, start by looking at their reputation.
Just Because It’s Called Yoga Doesn’t Mean It Is
Here’s a little story that explains why: Every year at the Yoga Show in Toronto I’ve been part of A Childrens Yoga Network booth. And every year I’ve had at least one person come to vent about a person not actually authorized by IKYTA to train KY teachers but who managed to get registered with Yoga Alliance.Every year I hear of how this “teacher trainer” has ripped people off in various ways. Now, I don’t actually know this person, but I have a couple of close friends who are among the disgruntled customers.Every year new people come with the same story of being scammed.Yes scamming is horrible and inexcusable and unethical. I heard this teacher was “under investigation” with Yoga Alliance, but somehow is still listed there now. He’s even moved to another part of the city and opened up under a new studio name. But his name has not changed.My question is: How can people put down thousands of dollars on yoga teacher training without doing any research?
Nothing Replaces Experience – So Use It
Yoga teachers are being turned out by the thousands all over the place. Some are good teachers, some are great teachers, and some are under investigation. Whether you are looking for a course for yourself or hiring a kids yoga teacher don’t let yourself get pressured into something. Find out what you are getting in to.
What My Certificate of Kids Yoga Training Means
When I give a twelve hour kids yoga training course the certificate says that they have completed 12 hours of kids yoga training. If they follow the training they will have an effective curriculum with six weeks of kids yoga to teach and expand upon.
What My Certificate Does NOT Say
The certificate does not say whether the bearer is now a good yoga teacher. Nor does it say the bearer is of good character, has a clear criminal record, always treats kids with respect, or will follow the program. Find these things out. Most places that hire people to work with kids do a criminal reference check with the police. It is just standard procedure and is done by the organization so the results are sent to them – untampered.
If you are hiring a kids yoga teacher, you can start by doing a trial run of a few weeks. You’ll know, sometimes after one class, if you want to keep this teacher on board.
If you are thinking of taking a course, do your homework. The more time, money, and commitment it is, the more homework you will want to do.
One of the reason’s I started blogging was so people could get to know me through my posts. It helps me connect with others interested in kids yoga and helps them get to know what I stand for.
What do you know about your Teacher?
A website will show you the Teacher’s philosophy at its best and this is a starting point. Read their work and listen to what they have to say. Is there a connection? If so, then do some other investigation. If you’re going to invest a few thousand dollars, ask around about the course and check them out on-line. If it’s a 3 hour course you’re not risking much, but for a 300 hour course – you don’t want to waste your time.
Be Smart – Invest Wisely
I’m sure there are many who have had great experiences with the teacher I mentioned earlier and have no complaints at all. In the end we live and learn with the choices we’ve made and often they propel us to learn something so deeply we grow with all the fertilizer we’ve acquired!
And sometimes we can save ourselves hassle by learning from others mistakes.
Toronto Weekend Certifications: Spring 2019
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. April 27-28, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.