Tweens (10 – 12 year olds) can be a real handful to teach. If you haven’t worked with this group then read my post for a preview of what you may face. But when you know how to teach tweens you can have a lot of fun.
Trying to Control Them?
Trying to make the kids behave a certain way is like swimming upstream. They are not adults who will sit and do whatever you tell them. When the urge to control a group of tweens (or any age group) hits, take control of your thinking and remember what you really want. You want a class where the kids are doing yoga, calm and relaxed.
and bring them into physical manifestation.”
A teacher must take control of their own thinking instead of trying to take control of the students. When you look at your own thinking and find out you are feeling frustrated, upset, or angry you see that was likely how the class felt too.
Natural Tendency: They like to talk to each other.
Natural Solution: Partner Yoga
Natural Solution: Give them lots of choices (everyone doesn’t have to do the same pose all the time).
Natural Solution: Ask them to turn their favourite game into a yoga game (you can play in your other classes!)
Solution: Have them teach the class.
Solution: Ask the tween leader to demonstrate the poses.
Winnipeg Weekend Certification
- Sat. – Sun. Feb. 8-9, 2020 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate) at Modo Yoga Winnipeg
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Spring 2020 – Fall 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 19-20, 2020 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 17-18, 2020 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 14-15, 2020 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.