Tweens (10 – 12 year olds) can be a real handful to teach. If you haven’t worked with this group then read my post for a preview of what you may face. But when you know how to teach tweens you can have a lot of fun.
Trying to Control Them?
Trying to make the kids behave a certain way is like swimming upstream. They are not adults who will sit and do whatever you tell them. When the urge to control a group of tweens (or any age group) hits, take control of your thinking and remember what you really want. You want a class where the kids are doing yoga, calm and relaxed.
and bring them into physical manifestation.”
A teacher must take control of their own thinking instead of trying to take control of the students. When you look at your own thinking and find out you are feeling frustrated, upset, or angry you see that was likely how the class felt too.
Natural Tendency: They like to talk to each other.
Natural Solution: Partner Yoga
Natural Solution: Give them lots of choices (everyone doesn’t have to do the same pose all the time).
Natural Solution: Ask them to turn their favourite game into a yoga game (you can play in your other classes!)
Solution: Have them teach the class.
Solution: Ask the tween leader to demonstrate the poses.
Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Now in Self-Paced and Live-Zoom Format!
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- All Modules = 96 Hour Certificate