To Get Kids Attention
In the year 2003 I found a valuable treasure while teaching kids yoga.
I have Emily (yes – her real name) to thank for that. I’m not sure where Emily is now, she was about four then so I guess she’s about nine years old now. I hope she still does yoga because she really did love it.
Emily loved yoga so much that she was always one of the first ones to sit in the circle. As the other kids sat down, and a few of them put up a fuss, I saw Emily start doing her favorite meditation. I sat down beside her and joined her.
And then the Miracle Occurred…
We sang/chanted the meditation out loud for about 1 minute and without any other words, the group got together and joined in. Without a single piece of direction or advice every kid got ready by themselves.
This was yoga teacher ecstasy. From that moment on this became my map to get kids attention. Meditation became my new best friend!
Best Friends Forever
In my class when you hear chanting it’s time to get back in the circle and join in. I do it at the beginning, middle, and/or end of class. Any time things start getting too lively, there’s me and meditation, my BFF. It’s a win-win solution, I relax and the kids relax too.
You will be amazed how much kids like this. So much so that it became the routine in Emily’s class, a ritual that lasted till the end of the school year. Then Emily graduated to the big school.
I never did thank Emily for this gift, but I think she feels it in how much I have appreciated it.
Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Check Out the Self-Paced Teacher Certification
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- All Modules = 96 Hour Certificate