If only my first kid’s yoga book, the only one I could find in 1998, had taught me exactly what a kids yoga class would be like from start to finish. It seems easy enough from the outside looking in. Doesn’t it always, though?
My First Kids Yoga Class
I remember the first time I tried teaching yoga to children. I thought I knew enough until I got in front of the kids, and they didn’t want to participate. I was the captain of the ship, and I had a mutiny in the first class! All of a sudden, I realized I knew very little.
And so it goes with teaching kids in real life, compared to how it goes in books and polished videos and even some trainings where you don’t see actual children.
Here are some things I wish someone had told me before my first class
- It’s not like teaching adults so you need a lesson plan with fewer poses, a shorter duration, and it’s definitely going to be noisier than adult yoga. Plus, kids will let you know (mutiny) if they don’t like a pose, adults may give you the stink-eye but they usually go along with it in some way. You need an appropriate lesson plan for the children you are teaching.
- A whole class of children is different then 1 or 2 children. Obvious, yes, but if you have cared for children, you need to learn the tools that engage a whole group. Which leads me to…
- Plan so each child can learn in their way. Each class has a variety of activities that connects with many different learning styles. A successful lesson plan is sprinkled with music, visuals, puzzles/games, movement, mindfulness, and relaxation.
- Share your lesson plan with the kids so they know what is expected and how they can successfully participate.
- Be flexible with your lesson plan, move on when something is not working and have a back-up activity in case you have extra time.
The Best Tools for Teaching Kids Yoga that I’ve Learned
The Young Yoga Masters training is where I share what I learned as a full-time kids yoga teacher and a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School Trainer. You will feel much more confident as a teacher after completing the program.
Awesome, if you’re ready to get your Certification to teach yoga and mindfulness to children, just click here and reserve your seat in the live-zoom training.
Really hope to see you there!
Email us if you have any questions.
Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Self-Paced, Live-Zoom, or In Person
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- All Modules = 96 Hour Certificate