I’m working on a new quick reference chart (below) for teaching yoga to children of different age groups.
I’m making the chart because so many new kids yoga teachers wonder about teaching specific ages, things like:
“What age range should I choose for my studio classes or summer camps?”
“Are games too juvenile for teens?”
“What should I do with the energetic 4 year olds?”
“At what age can children start to do yoga?”
“What ages can I teach in a daycare?”
These are valid questions because age is an important factor when creating kids yoga lesson plans. Some activities work with all ages but most will be either too mature or too juvenile depending on the age of your kids.
As you plan, you need to know what certain terms mean. Generally you will find yoga classes for children divided into these age categories:
This chart is handy for new teachers getting booked in studios, daycare, or summer camps for yoga.
Last year our kids yoga camp was amazing. The kids fed off our yoga energy and excitement over the 5 days. The children, ages 5 – 13 years old, took to us quickly. They even started playing pranks on us, hiding in different spots in the gym, when we arrived. One day they set up a decoy hiding spot and when we headed to it and found it was empty, we all burst into laughter. They really got us! We had so much fun with them.
Each of the teacher trainers in the Summer Certification developed a beautiful connection with different children.
The kids were sad to see the yoga camp end and so were we.
I just finalized the practicum for this years 10 Day Summer Certification in Ontario, Canada in July. These 18 hours teaching real kids looks like another highlight for the training.
Our trainees experience kids yoga classes during the week of certification:
- 3 x 30 min toddler classes in a daycare
- 3 x 30 min preschool classes in a daycare
- 3 x 50 min kinder classes in a daycare
- 3 x 90 minute school age classes in a daycare
- 2 x 4 hour kids camps at the community centre with a mix of ages from 5 – 15 years including kids with special needs
Trainees get lesson plans for all these classes as part of the course.
My heart is skipping a beat just thinking about how great it will be.
As we plan for this summer, it’s always helpful to hear from other teaches. We all know there are great Free Yoga Class Printables you can use, wonderful ways to use stories in yoga, and fun animal adventures.
So, here’s where I need your advice: What is your favorite age group to teach? What’s your favorite activity with them and why? I’m looking for your insight on teaching particular ages or types of class. For instance, how do you divide the children? What’s the broadest age range you have taught and what do you like to do?
Tell me one of your stories.
I’ll be linking this blog post to my teacher training manual, so your comments will be a great resource for new teachers and also for those who have been around and want some fresh ideas.
Please share your story in a comment below.
Toronto Weekend Certifications: Spring 2019
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. April 27-28, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.