You’d have to be living in a cave to not have heard about the Hunger Games phenomenon.
Tweens, teens, and young adults lined up for days for the movie premier, showed up by the thousands at shopping malls, and stayed up for midnight showings I decided to read the book last week. It was good, exciting, and a quick read.
My twelve year old nephew actually went on a field trip with his class today to see the movie. The teacher read the book aloud to the class last week. It was part of Media Literacy.
The popularity of the Hunger Games has also been inspiring workouts. So let’s try out this theme for our tween and teen yoga.
Consider these ideas for a Hunger Games yoga session to connect with the 12 years and up yoga crowd.
9 Ways The Hunger Games can Make Yoga with Teens Fun
- Social Proof: Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss), Woody Harrelson (Haymych), and Lenny Kravitz (Cinna) are all known yogis. People Magazine reported Lawrence did yoga to get ready for the part. I grabbed the Hunger Games People Magazine copy to use as a prop for teaching.
- Training Camp Stations: Hold your own Hunger Games Training Camp with yoga poses (see below for ideas). Set up stations like the Tributes had in their training camp. Then ask the kids to show you their best moves at the end – just hide the pigs.
- Archer Pose: the movie poster shows the star of the movie with her bow and arrow. Sounds like a great time for Archer Pose.
- Hero Pose: try sitting between your heels, or reclining hero pose in your lesson plan.
- Warrior Poses – all the versions of the Warrior Poses will go with this theme.
- Obstacle courses: or any activities involving running, jumping, or climbing can make everyone a Tribute in the Hunger Games arena.
- Muddy Shivasana: for relaxation imagine being covered in mud and not being able to move. Play the song Tomorrow Will Be Kinder or Safe and Sound from the Hunger Games Soundtrack
- Silent Movement Game – Play a game with one person “it” in child pose who keeps their eyes closed or is blindfolded. The others move silently around the room. Then call freeze and the person “it” finds the people who are frozen without being able to see where they are frozen. Was the person found first making the most noise? The last person found is the winner of the Games and gets to be “it” next.
- The Familiar Reluctant Warrior: The Bhagavad Gita is also the story of a reluctant warrior fighting to the death. Have a conversation about whether there are times when a person has to fight. What if you need to protect yourself or someone else who can’t protect themselves? Could they have fought in the Hunger Games? Save 15 minutes for this discussion because it will probably be a good one.
I wish they had Media Literacy when I was twelve!
What has been the reaction to the Hunger Games with your students? Have an idea for a Hunger Games lesson plan or discussion with tweens or teens? Have you read the book or seen the movie yet?
Please leave your thoughts in the comments.
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.