Back to school looms closer and closer. This is good news for kids yoga teachers interested in finding new classes. Here are some pointers, from experience, on how to get a kids yoga program into a school.
How Well Do You Know Your School System?
The first thing to do is to get to know your school system and curriculum and this is where we give thanks for the internet. Search your city name and “education,” “Ministry,” or “Board” until you find the official government website.
You’re about to learn a new language – the one used by your school. Write your proposal using the language from their curriculum NOT yoga language. You won’t find a single requirement for chakra opening in a school curriculum. Each school system has their own vernacular, learn it and use it as much as possible in your proposal.
Physical Education Curriculum:
What is it called and what are the curriculum requirements. In my area (Ontario, Canada) the Health and Physical Education program is divided into “Strands” (see what I mean about language!).
There are three strands in Grades 1 – 8, and four in high school. When you’ve got a good idea of how your yoga program enhances the curriculum, then who do you talk to? Usually its the Physical Education Department Head.
Class Sizes – How Many Can You Teach?
Also look on the website for the typical class size. This will help you determine how many classes you can teach at a time. If you put two classes together, one teacher can stay for yoga while the other gets to catch up on other work. It also cuts down on expenses. My area tries for 23 students or fewer in primary classes. Put your class size limits in your proposal as well as how many classes you can teach in a row.
Professional Development for Teachers:
Can you sweeten the package by adding a free class to teachers at the staff meeting if they book you for a minimum number of classes? Talk to the department head, VP or Principal of the school about how you can save them money and time.
Other Types of Education in the Curriculum:
Examples: Stress Management, Character Development, Healthy Schools initiative, Michelle Obama introduced the Let’s Move program. Tap into these with kids yoga. Please share any grants you know of in the comments!
Lunch-Time or After School Classes:
These classes usually involve charging each student enrolled. If you can get high numbers you can keep the cost down and still make a living. Approach the Parent Board at the school as a way in.
Some regions offer daycare programs for after school. Approach the daycare manager about doing a weekly class in each room.
Make someone’s life easier.
Who ever you approach, make their life easier. No one wants a program that means more work! Deliver a great kids class. If you can’t, get the yoga and kids yoga training to do it. You’ve got to know how to manage and run a kids yoga class or you’re program won’t last.
Become a Reliable Resource for the School
Most of the places I teach kids yoga, I’ve gone to for over 7 years, some schools for 10 years! It’s better to return to a school rather then to keep finding new classes. If you make the whole program stress-free, they will want you back and this is good for everybody.
The Time is Now: The Week Before School Starts
All this information is very timely! There is a window right before school starts where the teachers are back to work but the students aren’t. In Ontario the teachers start back on Sept. 1 but the children don’t come back till Sept. 7. Find the window and go in with a proposal. Or wait a month till the back to school rush is over. You may be able to help the teachers meet their requirements.
All the best to everyone out there working to increase kids health and happiness. Please feel free to add any insights or links you have to the comments and let’s get more kids doing yoga!
Aruna Kathy Humphrys
Kids Yoga Teacher Certification – Registration Now Open! Don’t miss out on the Young Yoga Masters Kids Yoga Teacher Training course. Its like no other! Pass on the wisdom of yoga to the future generations! Too see the upcoming courses click here.
Young Yoga Masters is a Registered Children’s Yoga School with Yoga Alliance.
If you take a Kids Yoga Training – take one that counts towards your Certification!
Toronto Weekend Certifications: Spring 2019
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. April 27-28, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.