Yoga Freeze Dance
In this game when the music is playing everyone dances. When the music stops everyone freezes in a yoga pose.
The girls added a twist to it that if you didn’t get into your yoga pose within 3 seconds you sat out on the mat. You had to wait till someone did your yoga pose before you could come back in.
Some other rules to Yoga Freeze Dance:
- At the beginning of the game ask the teachers to suggest some yoga poses to freeze in
- Choose a different pose each time you freeze
- During the freeze part ask the teachers to make yoga suggestions (eg. “put your heels down if you can”)
- Limit the freeze time in case someone has chosen a hard pose
The teachers followed the structure of the class and for the yoga part we played Yoga Freeze Dance. This class was a huge hit and we ended up going five minutes overtime.
The greatest thing about it was there was no yelling, complaining or talking back! It was such a joy to see all the kids dancing freely then freezing in a yoga pose. And a greater joy to see the happiness of the two “teachers” as they led the class and knew exactly what to do.
- our tuning in procedure,
- yoga poses (in a game, story, or however they wanted to present them),
The two classes so far have been among the most relaxing, fun, and challenging classes ever.
Two girls taught the first class and they were fantastic. They are best friends in the class and are usually together so why not let them teach the class together. The kids in the class also respect them so they had everyone’s attention from the beginning.
Let them Handle the Challenges
They also faced a challenge right off the top: Rain. We couldn’t go outside to do the game they had planned, which needed a lot of room to run around in. So I gave them the choice of postponing their teaching or changing their game to something we could do inside.
They Wanted to Teach
The girls didn’t wanted to miss out on their teaching day so we quickly brainstormed some new games and they chose: Yoga Freeze Dance.
We’re moving Online!
- Themes and Dreams:April 18, 19, 21, 23
- Inclusive Yoga:April 25, 26, 28, 30
- Yoga Literacy: May 9, 10, 12, 14
- Family Yoga, Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age), Chakras for Children: May 16, 17, 19, 21
- Mindfulness for Children: May 23, 24, 26, 28
- Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning: June 6, 7, 9, 11