You’re probably aware of the classic freeze dance game, in which everyone dances to the music and then freezes in a yoga pose when the music stops.
Having a playlist of songs like the Silly Dance Contest is very handy for those days when you show up for a kids yoga class and everyone is full of energy.
This has happened to me a few time, like the class I taught on Valentine’s Day where the kids had lots of sweets and just didn’t want to sit down and focus. I changed my lesson plan on the spot and we did a whole class of fun songs.
Eventually I was able to bring the energy down to a sitting meditation with movements at the end of class, but it took a lot songs like this one to get there.
Silly Dance Contest
In any class, this song by Jim Gill makes a great warm up at the beginning of class or playfulness at the end. Freeze dance with your kids in all these fun ways:
About Jim Gill
The Silly Dance Contest was released in 2019 in an album Jim Gill’s Most Celebrated Songs: Music Play, Vol. 1.
Jim Gill is a musician and author with unique credentials among children’s artists. Jim is a child development specialist who earned his master’s degree at the Erikson Institute of Chicago, focusing on the study of play. Because of this, each of Jim’s books and recordings serves as a venue for amusing encounters between a young child and a responsible adult.
Kids Yoga Teacher Training
Check Out the Self-Paced Teacher Certification
- Yoga Literacy with the Yoga Alphabet (16 Hour Certificate)
- Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Training- School Age (8 Hour Certificate)
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour Certificate)
- Family Yoga (4 Hour Certificate)
- Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Level 2: Mastermind Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
- All Modules = 96 Hour Certificate