Seeing all those comments for the contest was exciting. First, it shows how much kids yoga is spreading. There were so many heart felt replies, I’m glad I’m not choosing the winner of the contest based on merit because that would have kept me up at night!
Second, it shows that the topic of this book, Chakras for Kids, connects with those of us who are into kids yoga.
One of the stories from the book that stuck with me is the Fourth Chakra story. In it, a kid and his friends help their elderly neighbour rake the lawn then they all sit around the kitchen table together having tea and cookies. How I cherished my time hanging out with my aunts and uncles listening to stories. How I loved when we pulled out the poetry book to hear Casey at the Bat. To imagine, as we sat around the kitchen table, getting the first TV on the block or the night all the friends sneaked into the rich neighbourhood to swim in their backyard pools.
But what I really like about the Fourth Chakra story is that the boy helps rake the leaves because he wants to help – NOT to get tea and cookies.
The habit of bargaining doesn’t really fit in with the fourth chakra. We break this habit when we strive to understand Love. Making deals was a part of my growing up. As kids, my friend and I would ask our elderly neighbour if he needed anything at the corner store. But there was always the motivation of “keep the change” that kept us asking. We never really took the time to know him. We probably missed out on a chance to love.
How can we break the habit of always doing things for something in return? We break it when we do things with the joy of doing them as the reward.
When I read the Fourth Chakra story in the kids class – I asked: “Do you think the kids raked the leaves just to get some cookies?” Many of the kids replied, “YES! ” Yet, this story shows someone helping without expecting anything in return. So if you want to teach kids about the Fourth Chakra you can follow up by asking:
What is the difference between helping a friend because you want to get cookies and helping a friend because you like to help a friend?
That will take them to the realm of the Fourth Chakra.
© K. Humphrys
P.S. Congratulations to my random winner of the Seven Spirals book: Michelle. She commented, “This book sounds wonderful and I would love to share it with my daughter.” Sounds like the perfect scenario for a beautiful bedtime story. You can still pick up a copy of the book at Amazon or www.MushroomHollow.com.
Summer Certification 2019
Location: Art Gallery of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- July 14 – 15, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 16-17, 2019 Kids Yoga, Family Yoga, and Chakras for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 18 -19, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 21 – 22, 2019 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 23- 24, 2019 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- July 25-26, 2019 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Toronto Weekend Certifications
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
Location: Dovercourt House, Toronto Canada
- Sat. – Sun. Sept 28-29, 2019 – Yoga Literacy (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. Oct. 26-27, 2019 – Family Yoga (4 Hours), Teaching Yoga to Kids (School Age) (8 Hours), Chakras for Children (4 Hours)
- Sat. – Sun. Nov. 16-17, 2019 – Themes and Dreams (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat – Sun. April 25-26, 2020 – Inclusive Yoga (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. May 23-24, 2020 – Mindfulness for Children (16 Hour Certificate)
- Sat. – Sun. June 6-7, 2020 – Level 2 Mastermind: Curriculum Design and Business Planning (16 Hour Certificate)
Join the Newsletter to get reminders of new dates announced and early registration deadlines.